Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Masterson, Hoag & Smith, P.A Tampa Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Free Case Review

What can I recover in a medical malpractice case?

Return to FAQ Videos


In a medical malpractice case you recover money, which we refer to as damages. Damages are broken down into two groups: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages include medical bills, both in the past and in the future. It also includes lost wages and a possible loss of your future earning capacity – which is your future ability to earn money. Also included in economic damages are special damages – which can include something unique to your situation. Maybe your injury needs modifications to your home or modifications to your car. Maybe you are unable to do yardwork to the house, so you need services paid for. Finally, there is also non-economic damages. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, and the mental anguish that you’ve been through as a result of your injury. There is also loss of consortium which is also a non-economic damage. Loss of consortium is that loss of a close family relationship that you had with your spouse before the injury.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Masterson, Hoag & Smith, P.A. would like to hear from you. Please be aware that we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict-of-interest. Accordingly, please do not mail us any information about any matter that may involve you until we have spoken or met and formalized an engagement.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation