Tampa Birth Injury Lawyer
Compassionate and Dedicated Tampa Bay Medical Malpractice Attorneys Helping Find Justice after Serious Birth Injuries
A medical mistake can turn what should be one of life’s happiest moments into one of life’s greatest tragedies. Injuries to mother or child during birth can have drastic, life-long consequences, or even result in the wrongful death of an infant. At the St. Petersburg law offices of Masterson, Hoag & Smith, our Tampa birth injury lawyers work with families to hold doctors and hospitals accountable when their negligence or incompetence has caused the unthinkable.
Doctors and Hospitals Must Take Care and Attention Throughout the Pregnancy
Birth injuries can occur due to medical mistakes made at any time during pregnancy, labor, delivery, or immediately after birth. Improper prenatal care, complications during pregnancy or delivery, mishandling during delivery, and miscommunication among hospital staff are all among the causes of medical malpractice birth injuries. Obstetricians, obstetric nurses, and hospital obstetric departments are all charged with the duty to stay up-to-date on medical knowledge and best practices in pregnancy, labor and delivery. Mishandling during delivery and other mistakes can lead to the following common types of birth injury:
- Cranial Nerve Injury – Skull is compressed by forceps during delivery
- Spinal Cord Injury – Excessive rotation (torsion) during delivery
- Cerebral Palsy – A lifelong condition of paralysis and brain damage due to oxygen deprivation or injury during birth, or other factors
- Brachial Plexus Injury (Erb’s Palsy) – Nerve damage in the shoulders when too much force is applied during delivery
- Shoulder Dystocia – Nerve damage during delivery when the shoulders impact the mother’s pubic bone, and the head is pulled away from the shoulders
- Broken Bones – Fractures of the clavicle (collarbone) may result from excessive force or misalignment during delivery
- Cephalohematoma – A bleeding in the area between the bone and its fibrous covering, often linked to the use of forceps in delivery
- Caput Succedaneum – A serious swelling in the soft tissues of the scalp caused by pressure of the scalp on the cervix during delivery
- Subconjunctival Hemorrhage – A stressful delivery causes a rupture in the blood vessels just beneath the eye
- Maternal Hemorrhaging – Tears in the mother’s tissue must be promptly and properly attended to immediately following delivery.
Best Medical Practices Require Knowledge and Attention to Possible Complications during Birth
Most births occur without incident, but it is common medical knowledge that difficulties may arise, and doctors, nurses and other medical staff should be fully attentive to the process of labor and delivery and any complications that arise. Difficult births can be identified and handled appropriately if correctly diagnosed. Common indications of a difficult birth include:
- Abnormal birthing position, such as a breech birth
- Large baby weighing more than 8lbs., 13 oz.
- Premature baby born before 37 weeks of gestation
- Cephalopelvic disproportion where vaginal birth is not recommended
- Delay in ordering a caesarian section
- Any other reason for a difficult birth (dystocia)
When birth injuries occur, it can be difficult to know whether medical errors are to blame or not. Doctors and hospitals may not be forthcoming with admissions or evidence of their wrongdoing, and it often takes the help of skilled medical malpractice attorneys and medical experts to uncover the truth. This is what we do at Masterson, Hoag & Smith, and what we have been doing for the people of St. Petersburg and Tampa Bay for over 55 years. Call us if you have a question regarding possible medical malpractice; our attorneys offer a no-cost consultation to review your potential claims.
Help is Available after Tampa Birth Injuries
For help after a birth injury caused by negligence in Tampa, contact Masterson, Hoag & Smith at 727-896-3641 for a free case review from an experienced and dedicated St. Petersburg medical malpractice lawyer.